Do you want a robot race that is centered around being balanced, lightweight, & based on vanilla aesthetics? Do you also enjoy backstories & descriptions based upon the Rimworld lore primer, eating chemfuel and lumps of raw uranium, and creating a machine legion? Then this mod might just be the one for you!Have you ever wanted to add a robot/android mod to your rim, but most of them seemed a little too heavy or otherwise didn't fully fit into the vanilla aesthetic? Then this mod is hopefully what you're looking for! This mod adds just enough content for a robot-oriented playthrough, while also being light and balanced enough that it can fit right into the backseat of your regular playthrough and be barely noticed.There are two types of synthetic pawns added by this mod:
Mechanents: "A basic mechanent, or a "human-class mechanoid". Often used by glitterworld societies, or as a menial labor force for advanced urbworlds - they are fully capable of sentience, having cohesive thoughts, and even emotions."
Compared to humans, 'mechanents' do not need sleep, however their diet consists solely of chemfuel & uranium. They have all the pros of being mechanical, no blood, no illnesses, lower mental break thresholds, higher pain thresholds, a small amount of natural armor
they also have a few cons as well, they are slightly weaker health-wise than a regular human, they cannot wear certain apparel due to their odd bodies, they have a harder time dodging, and they can also be stunned by EMP blasts.
Personae: "The vessel of an AI persona. A relatively new creation originating from advanced glitterworld societies, and ultra-tech laboratories - they have all the capabilities of a baseline human."
Compared to humans, 'persona' do need sleep, however they have no need for food whatsoever. They have a few upsides; no blood, no illnesses, toxic immunity, faster move speed, faster research, and higher social impact.
But, they only have a few downsides; they are weaker health-wise compared to a regular human, they have no natural armor, they are not entirely immune to extreme temperatures, and they can be stunned by EMP blasts.
As a bonus, they both come with a combined amount of roughly 80+ backstories, and thousands of different and unique names. All of your robots will have a different flair or style to them!
- Not yet.
- None that I know of yet! If you find any please let me know and I will try my best to fix it.
- "Are they balanced?"
- Yep! They are not overpowered in combat or in day-to-day life. Running a robot-only colony will still be as challenging as a human colony (granted the playstyle will be completely different). In a nutshell, they trade certain aspects and stats of a vanilla pawn to be immune to certain threats, but on the flipside they also now face different threats, such as a distinct lack of chemfuel or uranium for their reactors, or EMP blasts to the mechanical-brain.
- "Does this mod add any sneaky apparel, items, factions, drugs, or any features?"
- All this mod adds is two races, two factions with one being optional, a new scenario, two new research projects, and a new rare building called the "mech-casket" that can only be obtained either through an orbital exotic goods trader, or by starting out with the new scenario. It also adds a simple nutrition value to chemfuel & uranium, though these items are only consumable by robotic pawns, and function exactly the same as they did before.
- "Where can I find these robots? And what is the deal with this new building?"
- Mechanents and personae can both be found within their respective factions, or sold as slaves. I intend to have them rarely spawn alongside spacer or outlander factions in the future. However, if you'd like to kickstart your own army of killer robots, you can research the two new research projects and, given you have access to a mech-casket and a large amount of resources, you will be able to assemble and produce your own synthetic colonists! You can print both mechanents & personae, but to print a persona you first need an AI persona core.
- "Does this mod work well with the 'Ideology' expansion and 1.3?"
- Yep! I tried my best to meld them into all the new features, memes, & precepts without any inconsistencies or errors.Credit
~ An absolutely immense thank you to Neronix17 for allowing me to use his framework as a dependency, Erdelf for their amazing framework and help, the 'AlienRaces' discord for helping me out throughout my modding experience, and finally the Rimworld modding community, for its awesome support and feedback. Cheers guys.Boring stuff
~ This mod is currently in development! You can always suggest balancing and features, or report bugs in the discussions threads, or you can reach out to me via discord. (If you do reach out to my discord please join the Rimworld discord so I can know what community you’re from if you send a friend request!) My Discord tag: Vex#3442
This mod does not add any new apparel, weapons, items, or any sneaky race-oriented stuff. The last showcase image shows mod content from the Vanilla Expanded series, go check them out, if you somehow haven't! - And if you find any bugs or inconsistencies please let me know and I will try to help fix it for you!